Clients Deposit Account
At a glance
- Designed for regulated professionals to hold clients' money
- The more that’s in your account, the more interest you earn. Interest paid monthly
- Optional cheque book and paying in book facilities
- No monthly fees, but transaction fees are applicable. Please see the Business Price List for more information
- Instant access to clients' money
- HSBC current account not required
Access to specialised service and support for professionals
Save time if you’re a solicitor, accountant or insolvency practitioner by applying online
What is the interest rate?
The applicable credit interest rates are as follows:
Rates effective from 25.04.2023
Clients Deposit Account
Up to £25,000
Credit interest is calculated on a daily basis and paid monthly.
Can the Bank change the interest rate?
Yes, the Bank can change the interest rates at any time in line with the Business Banking Terms and Conditions.
We’ll make the change immediately and tell you about it once the change has been made.
- Small Business Banking and Business Banking customers – We’ll let you know at least two months before we make the change
- Corporate Business Customers: We’ll make the change immediately, and tell you about it once the change has been made.
What would the estimated balance be after 12 months based on a range of deposits?
Example 1 – Single deposit, no withdrawals
For the purpose of this calculation it is assumed:
- Initial deposit of £1,000
- No additional deposits
- No withdrawals
- No change to the interest rates during the 12 months
- Interest is paid monthly
Total balance at the end of 12 months
1.42% AER (1.41% Gross)
Example 2 – Larger deposits
If you deposit enough, you can earn more. Based on you paying in the following deposits on day 1 and making no withdrawals or additional deposits, your estimated balance after 12 months would be as follows:
Amount after 12 months
But if you make withdrawals, the interest rate you earn goes down
How do I open and manage my account?
Account eligibility is limited to the following businesses:
- Credit and Financial Institutions which have permission to hold client money from the FCA (Financial Conduct Authority)
- Auditors, insolvency practitioners, external accountants, tax advisers, notaries, conveyancers or independent legal professionals that are regulated by a designated professional body
- Real Estate businesses, estate agents, property managers, or loss adjusters that are regulated by specific bodies and attest to a number of requirements
How to open the account:
Open in branch, online (online for solicitors, accountants and insolvency practitioners only)
- No minimum balance
- No maximum balance
How to manage the account:
Once opened you can manage your account online, in branch or by phone.
Can I withdraw money?
Yes, you can make as many withdrawals as you like in line with the Client Accounts Additional Conditions. No notice is required.
This account must only be used to hold money on behalf of your clients not to make payments for your own business. You are responsible for carrying out due diligence on your clients that might be necessary to comply with all relevant laws and regulations.
- AER stands for annual equivalent rate. A notional rate which illustrates what the gross rate would be if interest was paid and compounded each year
- Gross is the contractual rate of interest payable before the deduction of income tax at the rate specified by law.
- Small Business Banking customers are typically small enterprises (including not-for-profits) with borrowing needs of up to £100k. Their everyday transactional banking products and needs wouldn’t require the support of a Relationship Manager. (Government lending schemes are subject to different limits.)
- Business Banking customers are typically small and medium sized enterprises (including not-for-profits) with product needs that require support through a dedicated Relationship Manager, who work alongside our specialist teams. Our Relationship Managers can provide transactional banking and funding solutions of over £100k (both domestically and internationally).
- Corporate Banking customers are any business customer whose accounts are held with us in the UK, which isn’t a Small Business Banking or a Business Banking Customer.
Ongoing service and support
As a solicitor, accountant or other professional who banks with HSBC, you get access to a wide network of local experts. This means that no matter where you're based in the country, you'll have a named contact at your local Commercial Banking Centre. We offer a comprehensive range of services tailored to the professionals sector, which means we can provide a wide variety of financial solutions for firms and practices like yours that have very specific business banking needs.
Business Banking Terms and Conditions (PDF, 2.07MB)
Clients Deposit Account Terms (PDF, 53KB)
Business Banking Price List (PDF, 377KB)
Apply for our Clients Deposit Account
Opening your first Clients Deposit Account?
Are you a solicitor, accountant, real estate agent, or any other regulated professional and looking to open your first Clients Deposit account?
There are a couple of ways to find out if you’re eligible:
If you use Business Internet Banking, you can do it online. You answer a set of questions that confirm your eligibility, and the details are sent directly to us.
- To find out if you’re eligible, you’ll need to log on to Business Internet Banking and go to Products & Services > Savings
- If you’re not registered for Business Internet Banking and would like talk to someone about this account, contact us using the ‘Need help’ tab on the right-hand side of this page
- Alternatively, please register for Business Internet Banking
Opening additional Clients Deposit Accounts?
Are you a solicitor, accountant or insolvency practitioner and already hold a Clients Deposit Account? If so, you can register to use our Clients Deposit Account to open additional accounts.
Once you’re registered, to open a new Clients Deposit Account select 'Apply now' and enter your details, then you can complete and submit the application form.
If you already have one or more Clients Deposit Accounts but aren’t a solicitor, accountant, or insolvency practitioner:
- Please contact your Relationship Manager
- If you don’t have a Relationship Manager, contact us using the ‘Need help’ tab on the right-hand side of the page, and we’ll book an appointment for you