What is Fraud or a Scam?
A Fraud is a transaction or suspicious activity on your account which you had no knowledge of or didn’t authorise.
A Scam is when a criminal convinces you to knowingly authorise a payment from your account to a person, company, or for goods you believe to be genuine.
If you believe someone has fraudulently used your credit or debit card, you can contact us between 8am to 10pm, 7 days a week on:
- 03456 008 050 if you’re calling from the UK.
- +44 1470 697 093 if you’re calling from outside the UK.
If you believe this is a fraudulent bank transfer or bill payment (i.e. not made with your credit or debit card) that you didn’t authorise, you can contact us between 9am to 6pm, Monday to Friday on:
- 03456 100 135 if you’re calling from the UK.
- If the payment was made through HSBCnet, call 0800 169 9903 (lines open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week).
If you’ve authorised a bank transfer or bill payment and now believe you’ve been the victim of a scam, you can call us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
The number you need depends on how you authorised the transfer or payment:
- If you authorised this payment through Business Telephone Banking or Business Internet Banking, call 03455 873 523.
- If you authorised this payment through HSBCnet, call 0800 169 9903.
- If you suspect you may have divulged your security details, please call 03455 873 523 if you’re calling from the UK or +44 1226 260 878 if you’re calling from outside the UK.
We recommend you also report fraud to Action Fraud on by calling 0300 123 2040 or online at actionfraud.police.uk.